Co-living can be seen as a dorm for adults. Back in September 2016 , AccorHotels announced it was launching a new brand, Jo&Joe, largely inspired by co-living and hostels. And in December 2016, Hilton Worldwide announced it too was considering launching an “urban Microtel” brand concept in the near future. They view it as a solution for the urban housing crisis, A remedy for lonely Millennials seeking out true connections in this all-too digitally connected universe and a new live/work alternative for remote workers and global nomads.
Here’s what signifies Jo&Joe as co-living
- Urban city-center locations “close to public transport and less than 15 minutes away from the major points of interest”
- A central bar for locals and guests alike to frequent
- Local and affordable craft cuisine
- A collaborative kitchen where guests can cook for themselves or each other
- A “Happy House” area where guests can do their laundry, relax, cook, or unwind, just as they would when they’re at home
- Shared sleeping arrangements in the “Together” space, where you’ll find “an ingenious modular sleeping area that guests share without sacrificing privacy”
- Private sleeping accommodations in rooms and apartments for two to five people with private bathrooms and possibly a kitchen space, called “Yours”
- Alternative accommodations that take the form of “OOO! (Out of the Ordinary)” experiences. They could be yurts, hammocks, or caravans, for example, for the ultimate social media bragging opportunity
- A mobile app that connects guests, Jo&Joe staff members, and locals alike to serve as a “social accelerator
Podshare based in Los Angelos
Common based in New York City
Sabbatical, which is opening its first location in Puerto Rico in August and plans to expand to Mexico City and Montenegro in 2017
Commonspace Based in Syracuse New York
WeLive based in NYC’s Wall Street, Washington D.C. & Crystal City
PureHouse (purehouse.org),co-housing in Williamsburg, Brookly provide spaces that support entrepreneurs, digital nomads, artists and designers-
OpenDoor (opendoor.io) has properties including the 16-room Farmhouse in Berkeley, California
The Collective (thecollective.co.uk) has launched the largest co-living site of its kind in UK capital, accommodating more than 500 people.
Zoku (livezoku.com) in Amsterdam
Roam (roam.co) and you can stay in its co-living centres in Bali, Miami, Madrid and London (its Sloane Square site opened at the end of last year). Tokyo and San Francisco are coming soon.